Flashback Friday

This morning while I was throwing up my husband walked into the bathroom, patted me on the back and said “Only a month to go”. All I could think was “Thanks…that doesn’t make it better”. So with only a month to go I’m going to flashback to the births of my other daughters. I’ll just do one at a time. So today we will go back to that Thursday in April of 2004.

I like to think that Veronica’s pregnancy was the most normal pregnancy I had. I was still high risk, but I wasn’t having to see two different doctors every week. I craved sweet and sour soup from the local Chinese place in town and actually had it as my “last meal” before I went to the hospital. I nested a lot. I remember the night before I went to the hospital I was on my hands and knees scrubbing my big bathtub and trying to get something out of the carpet.

Hubster and I went into the hospital at 5:00 a.m. like we were supposed to April 8. My family showed up later. My mom french braided my hair so I wouldn’t have to worry about it. It was actually a pretty relaxing day. At one point my doctor came in and broke my water. Ummm that shit hurt!! Who knew popping a water balloon could hurt so bad. It was then that the contractions started and I told them I needed my pain meds.

So they came up and gave me the epidural. The funniest thing to me about that was right after the numbing meds kicked in my mom was standing next to the bed rubbing my leg for comfort. I laughed at her and told her I couldn’t feel a thing.

At about 5:30 my nurse came in and said it was time to start pushing. I told her I was tired and asked if I could take a nap first. She said that was fine and walked out of the room. Next time I ask for a nap I will discuss the length of the nap with my nurse. A nap for me equals 3 hours, she returned 30 minutes later. So at 6:00 she woke up me and I started pushing. At 6:08 my little Veronica was born.

It was amazing. I was scared and excited all at the same time. Holding her for the first time with my husband right next to me, the start of our family. I could not ask for more. What followed was the most awful weekend my husband and I had ever experienced. As we were getting ready to take her home, I’m talking packed and in the car seat, the doctors came in and said we couldn’t take her with us. She had a high bilirubin count and was in danger of brain damage. So she would have to be in the NICU until her levels went down. I had to watch my baby spend nights under the “lights” wearing special glasses. I could only hold her every 6 hours, and wasn’t able to feed her all the time. I spent nights away from my new born baby and couldn’t even take her home. Finally that Monday we were able to take her home and finally have our family together. I know that many babies spend weeks, even months in the NICU and I am in no way saying that my experience was anything like theirs, but for two first time parents without a clue it was very scary. I have never cried so hard in my life.

She was a wonderful baby. Had a few projectile vomiting issues, but I can’t complain. Hubster will not let me pull the “I birthed your kids” card since the birth was so easy for me. I guess I can’t blame him. I did have it pretty easy.

If I was a good blogger this is where I would put a picture from Veronica’s birth, but since I don’t have any of those on my laptop, I’ll just go with the oldest one I have of her

Please share your opinion

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s